Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hong Kong English

We all know Hong Kong used to be a British Colony. So, the level of spoken English here is not too shabby. But what about their written English?

There's the Student Union--which is called the "Amenities Building." Makes sense, right? There are amenities in a Student Union. Then there's a myriad of warning signs in the most proper English (sorry, can't think of a specific one right now). And of course, there's the formal e-mails. Oohhh, the e-mails...

Here is the latest e-mail that makes me scratch my head:

Dear All,

I am sorry for the retard reply.
I cant login my email account by night.
Attached plz find a review note.
Thanks and sorry again!

Cheers,

So many questions for my classmate, who sent us the "review note"! First, I think she means "late response," but "retard reply" will sufice. Mostly because of the great use of alliteration. Second, why can't she login by night? Is she a super hero fighting the near-0% crime in Hong Kong?

Cheers,
Danyal

No comments:

Post a Comment