Monday, October 12, 2009

Put that peach down!: Saigon 10.08.09-10.12.09

Had a blast in Vietnam! Saigon is a really interesting city. That word "interesting"...it can mean so many things, though! Well, I want to try out going Letterman on my city trips (no, not like sextortion Letterman...weirdos). Letterman has his Top 10, I'll try a top 5.

Top 5 Saigon

5. Victor Hugo meets Sun-Yat Sen
Visited the largest Cao Dai Temple in Vietnam. Apparently, Caodaism is a relatively modern religion that has all sorts of influences. Victor Hugo is a saint of sorts. Jesus and Buddha are both ballers in their minds. Anyways, the temple was probably the most garish spiritual place I've seen...but it works. Also, we were really close to the Cambodian border, which made me feel kinda badass (why?).

4. Delta (Delta Delta)
Don't be deceived by the nasty brown Mekong River Delta. It's an agricultural marvel! Made famous in 'Nam movies, we visited the region where it spills into the Pacific. Highlight? Rowing down a canal while old ladies in neighboring boats passed sublminal messages (whispering in my "tip money, tip money").

3. Yummy in my tummy
I love you Vietnamese food! So much! Don't know if the feeling is mutual....My tummy's on the fritz. If that wasn't apparent.

2. War sucks.
Don't want this blog to be a downer. But this museum really brings you back down to earth. You see a lot of the images and untold stories of the war. The one positive feeling I took away from this place was an even greater appreciation for photographers.


1. Grass man and friends.
Saigon = Motorcycle Capital of the World. Crossing the street was comparable to Frogger. One particular motorcyclist stood out above the rest, though. Grass man be MY friend.


p.s. "Putting down a peach" is how you say "taking a dump" in France. Cool/Gross, right?

Edit: Special Thanks to Richa(rd) Gupta Photography Co. for all the photos. I lost a bag with my camera over the weekend--so Richa kindly donated hers.

3 comments:

  1. looks like you are having tons of fun. and your blog is extremely entertaining and funny. miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks san! i am missing everyone back home now too. keep reading!! i'm so glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. danouuuu
    1. i like the ddd reference
    2. and i know those photographers you have an appreciation for include ME!

    ReplyDelete